[vc_row][vc_column][templatera id=”5797″][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][rev_slider_vc alias=”StudioBlogSlider”][vc_column_text]

Rise Above  – All That Is Solid

[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/3″][vc_single_image image=”6104″ img_size=”large”][/vc_column][vc_column width=”2/3″][vc_column_text]The first full length album of Rise Above. Recorded, mixed and mastered at White Noise Studio.

Recorded on 17 january 2016 (second session) and on 13 february 2014 ( first session)
Label: Big Bad Wolf Records
Bandcamp: https://riseabove2.bandcamp.com/releases

 

[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]By Marlon Wolterink.

Rise Above Setup:

Rise Above plays a blend of hardcore-punk, sludgemetal and stoner with members who play and played in oldskool bands like Disabuse, Winterswijx Chaos Front, Cry of Terror and Colt Impact.
The album is recorded in 2 parts.
Rise Above first came over in February 2014 to record a 4 track EP. In January 2016 they came back to record another 6 to combine both of them into a full length album.
So while recording the second session I tried to make sure the setup was the same as on the first session.

The setup we used for the Rise Above session in the recording room was one used more often lately. Guitars, bass and drums recorded simultaniously. Drums in the middle. Bassamp across the bassdrum to ensure it’s placement in the center stereo image. Both guitar amps to the left and right of the drums aiming away of the drums. To have a more dry drumsound, gobos were placed around the drums to reduce the room sound. This also acted as isolators to have less bleed in the drums.

Used Mics and Instruments:

The drumkit was a Pearl Vision.
The snare was a Pearl Copper Free Floating recorded with AKG D1000C on top and a Sennheiser MD421 on bottom.
Toms: 12″ + 14″ – Audio Technica AT3525. For the 16″ Floor we used a Røde NT1 . Cymbals: Paiste recorded with an overhead pair of Røde NT5’s
The hihat was recorded with a Shure sm58 with the cap off and the ride with a Shure SM57.
The reason why these very well known dynamic mics work well for this session on ride and cymbal is they are not bright. The have a pretty limited frequency bandwidth which usually matched well with guitar cabinets. The Paiste cymbals were pretty bright and although that works good for overheads and crash cymbals to cut through the mix it can be too much for ride and hihat. The rolloff of the Shure mics helps the ride and hihat to sit much better in the mix even before doing any mixing. The bassdrum was recorded with a Sennheiser e602 and Yamaha Subkick.
Ronald’s Mesa Boogie top and Marshall cabinet were miced with a Sennheiser MD441. The same for Arno’s cab and top.
Patrick’s bass was DI’d through sansamp direct into the dbx160a compressor. Cabinet mic’d with the BPM CR76 tune mic.
All vocals were recorded with the BPM CR76.

Rise Above Mix:

Before recording, the drums and vocals went through the D&R Stylyx console to have some global shaping analogue eq. This ment for instance matching the toms to eachother and add some brightness to the snare.
To have a more direct sound, the toms were edited. Gating could have worked, but editing out all bleed from the toms helped clean up the overall drumsound. Snare and bassdrum were gated though. Snare was gated to reduce the bleed rather then remove it completely to keep the snaresound alive.
The bassguitar mic was split into two tracks to have one track just for the constant low end push while the other was for the tone. The lowend was then automated to have a constant even push.
Multiband distortion was added to have a lot of growl and help the bass find it’s place in the wall of guitars.
The guitars were mostly eq-ed in the high mids and compressed and sidechained in the lower end to have both lowend push and create some room for the low end of the snare.
The vocals were treated with compression, eq and some distortion for aggressiveness and bite.
The biggest challenge was to match the older 4 tracks to the new ones. Differences in for instance the guitaramps and snaredrum required remixing the old tracks to match them to the new tracks. I kept the basics of the old mixes and adjusted were needed.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]

[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][templatera id=”5871″][/vc_column][/vc_row]